Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Poëm

I noticed a bird in our tree,
underneath the crepe myrtle blooms.
It seemed unable to fly, so it
jumped from branch to branch
fluttering.
Two birds seemed to call to it,
one from a powerline, the other
from the opposite tree.
It might have been injured.
Or it could have just hatched
(I'd noticed a nest in the tree
recently), but it seemed too big.
Finally, after moving into the middle,
it seemed to settle down.
So I lost interest
and went inside.


True story.

[Edit: Went back out, and it looks like it was just a big baby. The two other birds were in fact trying to help it learn to fly. It hopped around in the yard and street a bit. I only saw it make about 3 feet - across our front walkway. I don't like poetry. Just seemed appropriate for the "wounded bird struggles to fly" event.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home