Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Family History by VW

Taking a cue from Tom Waits... I noticed VW's reintroducing the Rabbit, so here's a quick history of VW's over two generations in my family. (Pictures are not of actual cars described.)

My mom's first car (mid- to late-60's) - Beetle
I don't actually remember this car, owned around the time I was born probably. Legend has it as one of the first Bugs unloaded at the Port of Houston, where it was purchased.
Beetle

The first car I remember (mid-70's) - Dasher
Can there be a more 70's car color than bright yellow, with brown fake leather interior? No. Reminds me of super sounds of the 60's and 70's on KRBE, and elementary school.
Dasher

One of my high school cars (late-80's) - 1980 Diesel Rabbit hatchback
Inherited after totalling my '80 Olds Cutlass, in high school. The interior hatchback cover was missing, and all of the rear lights were exposed. Car was dubbed "The Jean-Michel Jarre Lightshow."
Rusty white.

Rabbit

My first new car (late-80's through 90's) - 1987 Fox
H.S. graduation gift, it was between this and a Suburu Justy (?). $8,100 and ran well for 13 years. An absolute warhorse... Shared all VW Fox's congenital paintjob-fading problem. (Dark red as shown.)
Fox

My next car (early 21st century) - 2000 Passat (green)
Killed by Tropical Storm Allison, which lead to one of the greatest stories ever told - me and Darren stranded in Fourth Ward for a weekend.
Passat 1

Soon after (early 21st century) - 2002 Passat (blue)
Replacement for the short-lived Passat I - almost paid off!
Passat 2

1 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger cdgilpin said...

Definitely a walk down memory lane, bud. Your generational faithfulness to the Fahvernugen rivals the dynastic pledges of many royal familes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home