Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Rock Music, Weekend Last

Saturday night, we went to see the show at Rudyards.

The Kimonos, The Linus Pauling Quartet, The Dimes, and something we missed (Concrete Violin).



The Kimonos headlined with a 30 minute set, and they were bad. Peoples were leaving in literal droves.

The Dimes were the big surprise. Four young guys, dressed up and having a great time, breaking out. A bit of the Sound of NOW!, mixed with some classic sounds (esp. New York noize). Will try to catch them again.

Linus was the true headliner, and they put on a show that made me think. They opened with a slapped-together cover of "Interstellar Overdrive," and they played "Waiting for the Axe to Fall." And pretty much the whole show was more recent, unreleased (developing) songs.

Jason Bill

So, here's a band with 3 LP's, an EP, a Double-LP, a few singles, 10 years of catalogue... And almost nothing with any history in their whole set. I actually like their new material, and the show was good.

But I've seen a bunch of bands stay productive, just to constantly shunt tested material aside for the new stuff. And I've seen a lot of bands return from the brink. (And I'm seeing them both in a couple of weeks!)

Anyway, I mentioned something to Charlie about mixing in some old school with the new favorites, and he actually said that was the plan. I wasn't harrassing him - I was paying him for my new Italian "Jason Bill" split-single (#75 of 300!), apparently recently unearthed. $3.00!

I actually might have been more coherent about this late into Sunday morning, but you get the idea. I like for bands to continue mining their older materials. I also like when multiple people vocalize...

1 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Ramon Medina - LP4 said...

Thanks for the comments.

yeah, we had just before that show had a big discussion about how many shows to play. The idea was to look at our back catalog and learn a bunch of stuff (that's right I said learn) so we would get to the point where we wouldn't spend so much time rehearsing for our shows. The idea is that we'll get to a point where we can throw together a set quickly and not compromise jams and recordings just becasue we have a show coming up.

So Charlie wasn't sellign you BS. The concern always is playing material that you've played so much that you are just being a machine. I abhor nothing more than just "Playing the chords". Hopefully if we pull this off we'll be able to cycle through enough stuff where that won't be an issue.


Thanks again for coming out.

PS just got the Dimes CDR!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home