Friday, May 12, 2006

An embarassment of riches...

Ok, so this is turning into nothing but a video-linking blog. I don't care.

I make no bones that I think Winsor McCay was THE MAN. Little Nemo was a superhuman artistic achievement, and Rarebit Fiend was just a step behind.

Click images for source articles:
Salon Review


I've seen a couple of his animated shorts, but this is jaw-dropping. 1911!!!




This is probably the most famous one. 1914!!!





Some bio-graphical info:

ZWMc Bio

And Google has some science and historical cartoons, and 4 Rarebit Fiend pieces from 1921. Here.

Ok, maybe it's just me... and the New York Times:

NY Times Review

3 Comments:

At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

 
At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home