Thursday, May 11, 2006

Unloopifying da Vinci Code

I heard this story of NPR's Morning Edition today.

Click to listen:
Flammarion

I think it's interesting that I've seen several churches around town market themselves like this. Basically tying themselves in to this book, like a tv crossover episode! The many "debunking" books aren't all that surprising - it's kind of obvious. "A writer whose got a bunch of some Americans to reading? Hey, I'm a writer guy two!"

But I pine for the good old days, when I had to cross a picket line of demonstrators to see The Last Temptation of Christ. Now it seems like protesting is just too confrontational, better to use the enemy to fill the pews.

Anyway, I read the book. Didn't think it was so great. But I sure didn't think it would pose a big threat to Christianity in America. Apparently, people are more gullible than I give them credit for. Or maybe low readership levels means people aren't familiar with the whole fiction thing. Or maybe low church attendance means one sermon a month on something found in Entertainment Weekly.

Didn't seem much like a serious history book to me. Although there really is an Opus Dei. My favorite section was when, uh... the main character, was explaining the golden ratio to his class at Harvard. Can't find an excerpt, but essentially these Harvard students act like some quirks of math are a 1976 P-Funk concert, and they're all high on PCP.

3 Comments:

At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home