Friday, May 19, 2006

Haditha

This is very unfortunate on a number of levels.

Not only could this be Iraq's My Lai (which would be bad enough), but it could have a serious effect on our ability to stabilize Iraq. Which hasn't been all that solid to begin with. It even has an attempted cover-up.

Here's the text article.

Here's the audio story that informed me about this (from today's "All Things Considered" on NPR). I hadn't heard about it originally, or from the later Time article mentioned.

I'd hoped the Abu Graib leaks would end up being exagerrated. If anything, they seemed to be an appetizer, leaked specifically to take the sting out of the photos.

There are apparently photos and video of the aftermath here too. Obviously, our military deliberately killing a bunch of innocent civilians is bad enough for anyone, but I think the fallout from this could be very significant.

Edit: I think this is the Time article.


The next two stories on today's show dovetailed into the Human Rights theme...

Military Inquiry discussion: [audio] / [text]

U.N. on Guantanamo: [audio]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home